Ah, Oregano oil (Origanum vulgare), how herby and spicy you are.
Oregano oil was my introduction to Essential oils. As a teenager my mother was obsessed with it and would use it for just about anything. I, on the other hand only used it for at home pedicures. This was years before I discovered how vast and awesome Essential oils really are. Teenage me soon forgot about Essential oils. Fast forward 15 years and here I am, in love with them and obsessively collecting them, it made sense to add Oregano to my collection.
I still use it when I do Mani/Pedi’s at home but I also love cooking with it. It’s a STRONG Essential oil so start slowly when using it. If you find you need to use less than a drop, mix 1 drop with a teaspoon of olive oil before adding some of the oil to a recipe. I love adding it to tomato sauce when I’m making Pizza, that way I still get that awesome Oregano flavor without the bits of dried herb in my teeth.
As always consult with your health care provider before ingesting an Essential oil and never give food made with Essential oil to someone without their knowledge and consent. Also keep in mind that this oil isn’t for regular use, it’s one of those oils that’s awesome and strong, but in high amounts/used all the time is a no-no.
5 Reasons why you should be using Oregano Essential oil
- It makes a wonderful cleaner due to it’s anti-bacterial properties.
- It’s a natural insect repellent. Try making a natural bug repellent and include a few drops of Oregano oil.
- Making a hair mask with it could help eliminate dandruff.
- It’s great for Mani/Pedi’s due to it’s anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties while being gentle on your skin.
- Use it as a spot treatment for acne.