It’s that time of year! Everything sweet and comforting it coming out of the
woodwork Kitchen. My last post was for Gingerbread spice, so I felt like sharing my recipe for Gingerbread cookies next! I of course made gingerbread men and I’ll confess right now that icing these little guys is not my strong suit, but if you’re like me and decorating is a challenge, don’t worry, these cookies taste so good no one will care what they look like.
These guys cover all the important basics for Gingerbread cookies. When they are fresh baked they are soft, moist and chewy and when they fully cool they are firm with the right amount of crunch. They have a wonderful balance of sweetness and spice. They are not ‘hot’ or overwhelming, and have the perfect warming spice and depth of flavor that will keep you coming back for more.
See this guy? I named him Oops. Oops was the first Cookie I removed from the baking sheet, he broke his foot because I didn’t wait for him to cool, I was just so excited to eat theses cookies. Learn from my mistake with Oops, first allow the cookies to cool a bit before removing them from the cookie sheet, and second have fun with any mistakes you make.
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas everyone!
- 1 batch Of Gingerbread spice mix (approx 1 3/4 TBS * see notes for recipe)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 6 TBS Butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill 1 to1 gluten free flour
- 1 TBS Orange juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 cup Mollasses
- In a medium sized bowl combine the spices, salt, baking soda, and flour.
- In another bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar. Once those are combined add in the remaining wet ingredients and whip together for 2-4 minutes until the mixture becomes lighter in color.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet until everything is fully incorporated.
- Wrap the dough in cling wrap and refridgerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 350F
- Remove the dough and roll it out to 1/4 inch thick. Select shapes for cookies, cut them out and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool slightly on the baking sheet before moving or they will crumble. Allow them to cool completely before decorating, but you can enjoy them plain while still warm!
One batch of gingerbread spice mix is;
2 tsp Ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Anise seed
1/4 tsp each of Ground Clove, Ground All Spice, Ground Nutmeg, Ground Cardamom, and Ground Black Pepper.