Candy Cane Cupcakes are my new favorite holiday treat.
They are perfectly festive with how the cake becomes pink and they really pop with a dusting of crushed candy cane on top. They are easy to make too, so if you draw a blank for what to bring at a holiday potluck whip these babies up. Everyone loves cupcakes and no one will be disappointed. I also suspect that no one will know they are gluten free unless you tell them.
The Holidays are the time to indulge a little and discover new treats. Cupcakes are one of the easiest treats to play with flavor with ( I mean, look at all the baking shows and cupcake bakeries popping up). It’s hard to go wrong with cupcakes.
I adjusted my Vanilla cupcake recipe to create these festive beauties. By adding the crushed candy canes to the cake batter you get a beautiful color, a pop of sweetness, and a hint of peppermint. Finish them off with my easy buttercream recipe and some crushed up candy canes. You’ll end up with a sweet cupcake that isn’t overpowered with peppermint and looks super pretty.
As Pumpkin spice fades from the spotlight, it high-fives Peppermint as they switch places. As we draw closer to Christmas, Peppermint it Queen. Give these candy cane cupcakes a try and convince me otherwise…
Peppermint is one of my favorite flavorings. So its natural for me to wanna put it in everything. I can’t wait to try these along side my peppermint mocha!Print
Candy Cane Cupcakes
Sweet and fluffy cupcakes with a hint of peppermint. These Candy Cane Cupcakes are the perfect holiday treat.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten free 1 to 1 blend (Or preferred gluten free all-purpose flour blend *results with vary*)
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter (Softened)
- 1 cups Sugar
- 1 TBS Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 1 cup Crushed Candy Canes (roughly 14 canes) (Plus extra for topping the Frosting)
- 1 cup Butter (Softened)
- 1 TBS Vanilla extract
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1–2 TBS Half & Half
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
Line cupcake tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside…
- In a stand mixer cream together the butter and sugar. Then add in the eggs and Vanilla. Once this is combined turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the milk and half & half. Now that you have your batter, fold in the crushed candy cane.
- Fill the cupcake liners a little more than 3/4 of the way with the batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes, they are done when a toothpick can be inserted into the center and come out clean.
- Transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- In a stand mixer combine the butter, vanilla, and HALF the powdered sugar. Once this comes together slowly add the remaining powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Check frosting thickness and add 1 to 2 TBS Half & Half for a thinner Frosting.
- *Side Note* Not using the half & half results in a thick frosting that holds sharper shapes. I like using it this way when I’m frosting tiered cakes and want structure. I prefer adding 1 to 2 TBS of half & half to the frosting when using it for cupcakes because of the softer texture and creamier flavor.
- Apply the frosting using a metal spatula, the back of a spoon, or a piping bag. Sprinkle with reserved crushed candy cane and serve.
Keywords: cake, Candycane, cupcakes, Holiday, Peppermint, Treat