Gluten free Savory Crepes are a new thing in my life. It all started with Gluten free Crepes in general.
A few years ago I found a great little place on the coast that served up gluten free crepes. I’ve only been able to go there a few times but every time is magical. They serve both sweet and savory crepes there, I always get sweet crepes but the savory ones always peak my interest. They just can’t trump blackberry jam, cream cheese and whipped cream stuffed crepes though.
Earlier this year I started playing around with crepe recipes and I ate sweet crepes so often that it got kind of boring. So I started making savory crepes instead. The main difference is you don’t add sugar or vanilla to the batter and you stuff them with savory things instead of sweet things.
Gluten Free Savory Crepes are Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy
The easiest savory crepe to make is this spinach, bacon, cheese crepe. Most morning I cook bacon and saute some greens anyway, so it made sense to stuff them in a crepe and add cheese.
I’ve been making my fair share of these lately because the crepes keep so well in the fridge. I whip of a batch early in the week and then eat them for breakfast, sweet or savory, till I run out. It’s meal planning at it’s finest because it’s multi-purpose and low maintenance. You can even freeze the crepes and just thaw them a few hours before you want to reheat them.
Gluten free savory crepes are quickly becoming my go to (even over sweet crepes!). I like these crepes as they are, but I’ve also enjoyed them drizzled with maple syrup, or with melted butter. I even got fancy once and topped them with Hollandaise sauce.Print
Savory Spinach Bacon Cheese Crepes
A warm and savory breakfast of spinach bacon and cheese crepes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Breakfast, Main Course, Snack
- Cuisine: American, French
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten free flour (or preferred flour blend )
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Oil (Olive oil, avocado oil or even butter)
- 3 Eggs
- 2 cups Milk
- 6 Strips Bacon (Chopped into 1/4 inch pieces )
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1/2 cup Shredded cheese (Cheddar or Mexican blend)
- Combine the flour, salt, and eggs with a whisk and slowly add in the milk. Whisk thoroughly to remove any lumps. Let batter rest 30 minutes or overnight.
- Place a 10" skillet on the stove and turn the burner to medium-high.
- Once the pan is hot take a ¼ measuring cup and fill with batter. Pour the batter in to the center of the hot pan, then tilt the pan in a half circle to spread the batter out thin.
- Cook for 1-3 minutes until the top it set and the bottom is golden brown. Carefully flip and cook for another 10-30 seconds to brown the other side. Remove from pan and repeat until batter is all used up.
- After crepes have been cooked cover them with lid or inverted plate to keep them warm.
- Using the same pan sauté the bacon until it reaches your preferred doneness. I like mine crispy. When the bacon is done remove it to a paper towel lined bowl.
- Pour out most of the bacon fat and return the pan to the burner. Add in the greens and sauté until wilted.
- To assemble the crepes lay out some wilted greens in a strip in the middle of the crepe, then sprinkle with back bits and cheese. fold one side of the crepe inward to cover the filling and then repeat with the other side to finish off the crepe. Repeat with remaining crepes and filling. Top with bacon bits and cheese if desired and serve.
Keywords: bacon, Cheese, Crepes, Gluten free, savory, Spinach