Did you know paleo crepes are a thing?
Sometimes I get a little bored of my typical paleo breakfast, usually fired eggs, bacon/sausage and sauteed greens, and I want something a bit more rebellious and sweet.
I went crepe crazy a few months ago and made both sweet and savory crepes from my gluten free crepes recipe. All that crepe making got me thinking and day dreaming and I decided to play around with making paleo crepes.
I like eating paleo (ish) whenever possible. I notice when I stray away from it I over indulge in sugar and dairy and my stomach lets me know. Creating paleo treats like this helps keep me on a healthier diet and I don’t feel the need to overdo it.
Being paleo means these crepes are not only gluten free but also dairy free. They use a combination of coconut flour and tapioca starch with egg and nut milk to create the batter. I love how easily they cooked up and how pliable the finished crepe is. It’s perfect for folding or rolling into shapes.
I like dressing these crepes up simply with some honey and walnuts but you can have fun with all sorts of toppings. Whipped coconut can replace whipped cream or cream cheese in traditional crepes and can be accompanied by fresh fruit.
You could also try making savory crepes (replacing any cheese with cashew cream) but keep in mind that these crepes do have some coconut flavor from the flour. Make sure your savory toppings and fillings go well with a bit of coconut flavor or they might not turn out well. That being said I think a savory version with cashew cream, scrambled eggs and ham would be amazing.
Another thing to mention before I send you onto the recipe is that no crepe pan is needed. Even with traditional crepes you can use a regular non-stick skillet and not need a specialized crepe pan to make your crepes.
Now go forth and make some crepes!Print
Thin and flexible crepes made with coconut flour are perfect for breakfast or dessert. Drizzled with honey, sprinkled with nuts, and even topped with coconut whipped cream. These paleo crepes will satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 37 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Breakfast, Dessert
- Cuisine: American, Paleo
- 1/2 cup Tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut flour
- 1 pinch Salt
- 4 Eggs
- 1 TBS Avocado oil
- 1 cup Paleo milk (Like almond or coconut)
- In a small bowl whisk together the tapioca flour, coconut flour, and salt.
- Add in the eggs and oil and fully combine before adding the paleo milk. This will limit the amount of lumps in the batter.
- Let rest for 30 minutes or longer (resting overnight works wonderfully).
- Place a 10" skillet (I use a non-stick pan) or crepe pan on a burner set to medium.
- Once the pan is hot use a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop out crepe batter and pour into the center of the pan. Tilt pan slightly to spread batter. Cool for 1-3 minutes, till the bottom is browned and the top is mostly firm. Carefully flip the crepe and cook for another 10 to 30 seconds to finish cooking and brown the other side.
- Remove the crepe from the pan and repeat until all the batter is gone.
- Sever warm with your choice of toppings and fillings.
Keywords: Breakfast, Brunch, Crepes, Paleo