Queso Fundido with Chorizo is a melted cheese appetizer that’s packed with flavor. It’s one of my favorites to order when out to dinner. Sadly, the last time I had it in a restaurant I was ‘glutened’ sometime during our meal. It scared me away from our stand-by Mexican restaurant and left me without the joys of Queso Fundido.
So, as is my fashion, I learned how to make it at home.
This recipe is definitely different from the one I used to order. I’m pretty sure the restaurant used processed American cheese. Their Queso Fundido was very loose and liquidly until is started to get cool. It tasted great but I never seemed to get enough on my chip.
For this recipe I use Oaxaca Cheese but you can also use Monterey jack and still get a similar result. Which is a thick and cheesy dip that’s bursting full of flavor.
Gooey Cheese at it’s finest…
To make it you brown the Chorizo in an oven safe pan (I like to use this one). After draining the fat, you add in the onions, garlic and bell pepper and cook until they are soft. Once that happens you smother it with shredded Oaxaca (or Monterey jack) and bake in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Then you broil it for two minutes to get a nice color on the cheese. Once that’s done sprinkle green onions over the top and serve with your favorite chips while it’s still pipping hot.
You get pops of flavor in every bite and the cheese is so gooey and perfectly melted. You can just dip your chips straight into it or use a spoon to grab the perfect ratio of cheese, Chorizo and veggies.
I highly recommend trying Queso Fundido with Chorizo at least once. I have a feeling it might become your favorite.Print
Queso Fundido with Chorizo
Flavorful, spicy and super cheesy. Queso Fundido is a wonderful appetizer or snack to share with friends.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dish, Snack
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1/2 lb chorizo
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 1/2 Onion (Diced)
- 1 Small Bell Pepper (Diced)
- 10 oz Oaxaca Cheese (or Monterey Jack) (Shredded)
- 2 Green onions (Diced)
- Tortilla Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Heat a small oven safe skillet over medium heat and add the Chorizo. Break into smaller pieces and allow to brown.
- Drain the fat from the pan and add the onions, garlic, and peppers. Cook until soft.
- Cover the meat and veg with shredded cheese and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 6-8 minutes and then switch the oven to broil and broil for 2 minutes (until the cheese is golden and bubbly).
- Remove from oven, top with green onions and serve with chips while still hot.