Toad in a Hole (aka Sausage pancake) is a simple way to change up breakfast. It’s very much like making a Dutch baby but with the added bonus of breakfast sausage. You can serve this by itself or while its baking you can make some side dishes.
I love making these on the weekend or when I have company over in the am. It still provides a delicious meal while allowing me time to interact with guests outside the kitchen. I’ll get this in the oven, then make some caramel lattes, before sitting back to enjoy my company while breakfast cooks.
When you bite into a piece of toad-in-a-hole you get the fluffiness of the pancake, a bit of salty butter and a bite of flavorful sausage. I love pouring some maple syrup over mine for that sweet/salty combo on my taste buds.
I make my toad-in-a-hole pretty basic but you could dress yours up with beans and salsa or sauteed veggies and cheese to really dress it up and change the flavor.
Give it a try and let me know what you top your Toad-in-a-hole with.Print
Toad in a hole
- 6 Links Breakfast Sausage
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 6 Large Eggs (Room temp)
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour
- 1 Pinch Salt
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Using a large Cast Iron Skillet, lightly cook your sausages over medium heat. This will take 5 to 7 minutes.
- While the sausages are cooking combine the remaining ingredients – minus the butter, and make the batter.
- When the sausages are lightly cooked add the butter and allow to melt. Then pour the batter in the skillet.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. and serve while still hot.
I highly recommend using a Cast Iron pan (Like this one) when making this recipe. Though if you don’t have one you can still make the recipe by heating up a baking dish in the oven with the butter, lightly cooking the sausages in a different pan and then arranging them in the baking dish before pouring the batter over. It won’t turn out quite the same, and you’ll have an extra dish to clean, but it will still taste good.
Please note that I sometimes use Affiliate links. If you decide to purchase using these links I will earn a commission which helps keep this blog running, Thank you!